All matcha is green tea, but not all green tea is matcha!
The green tea plants are completely shaded for over a month using black reed screens and rice straw. This reduces the rate of photosynthesis = high levels of L-Theanine = better flavor and texture.
The youngest buds are handpicked and steamed briefly to stop oxidation, which retains the natural green color, fragrance, and nutritional components of the leaves. They are dried in a special chamber and a machine separates the veins and stem from the leaf. The dried leaves, called tencha, are then stone-ground into a fine powder.
- Packed with antioxidants and strengthens immune system
- boosts metabolism and burns calories
- provides gradual energy without the jitters
- detoxifies the body
- rich in chlorophyll, fiber, and vitamins
- enhances mood and aids in concentration
- safe and beneficial for children in moderation
- lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
- calms the mind and relaxes the body
High quality matcha should taste fresh, delicate, sweet, umami, earthy, and smooth. It should look bright emerald green, the greener the better!
Sip serves 2 grades of matcha:
- Ceremonial Grade Matcha - the highest quality matcha available and made from the youngest tea leaves from the first harvest, with stems and veins removed entirely.
- Premium Grade Matcha - a high quality matcha that contains all of the benefits and nutrients found in Ceremonial matcha, but the crop comes from the second harvest. It may contain traces of stems and veins, but the quality of Premium Grade Matcha is already better than much of the highest grade matcha served elsewhere.
Sip's matcha is farm to cup straight from a tea farm in Japan that is over 100 years old. We personally visit out farm in Japan to inspect the tea plants and the processing of the tea leaves to ensure that we are serving our customers the highest quality matcha and tea. Our farm uses a stone mill to slowly grind the leaves the old fashioned way as not to burn the leaves, which preserves the sweet and delicate taste you'll find in Sip's matcha.
Our tea undergoes strict quality control standards and thorough taste-testing by trained tea sommeliers.